Friday, March 15, 2013

March 16, 2013


This week I would like to begin by saying what a wonderful thing it is to have a man of integrity  chosen to lead the Catholic Church. Pope Francis appears to be a man of God that will govern the church in righteousness by following the laws of God and will not bend or give way to reforms that are the desires of man. I think these are such admirable qualities. He knows that it is more important to please God than men. It reminds me of one of my favorite sayings….”popularity comes from pleasing people, greatness comes from pleasing God.” Pope Francis understands the true purpose of Christianity which was evident when he said, “We can walk all we want, we can build many things, but if we don’t proclaim Jesus Christ, something is wrong.” And that is also the message of the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I hope that we can all have such strong convictions as have been exemplified by our leaders. 

He also seems to be a humble man with compassion for the people. When I read that he liked riding in the subways and mingling with the poor I instantly knew he was a kindred spirit. In the past year that we have been living in Kyiv, we have walked and ridden on subways and crowded busses with the people of Ukraine and we have been humbled by the opportunity. There is truly no better way to get to know and have an understanding for the people than by walking side by side with them every day. 
I loved that Pope Francis slipped out of the Vatican to pray for guidance at one of Rome’s great basilicas and then returned to the hostel to get his bags and pay his bill. “He has a reputation for frugality and an understated lifestyle, and insisted on paying the bill as ‘He was concerned about giving a good example of what priests and bishops should do. He was chosen because he was a “spiritual shepherd” with “the common touch and communication skills rather than an aloof intellectual nature.”  All of these are the qualities of a great leader. So I would like to say, congratulations to the cardinals for choosing a humble servant to be the pontiff of the Catholic Church.

Pope Francis on subway

Pope Francis I

Last week I talked a little about seasons and for some reason, maybe the weather, I am going to focus a little more this week on seasons.

Monday we got four more inches of snow. I love the snow in Kyiv. It is white and wet and makes everything beautiful. But, as this winter has gone on and on many people have been wondering if spring will ever come. Winter takes as long as it takes, but it always ends--------and so does summer.  That is the law of nature. I have always loved the four seasons and have been able to find joy in each season. Winter is a time of rest and introspection. The outdoor chores come to an end with the first snowfall and it is time to enjoy some time by the fireplace reading and doing the things that were put aside in the summer. Winter is the ideal time to prepare for what is to come, even if you are not sure what spring may bring. I’ve thought of that as we have driven to Lutsk in the winter, seeing all of the fields so white with snow, knowing that the people inside their little houses are enjoying their time to rest before it is once again time to plant and nurture the precious crops. Precious because that is what will sustain them over the next winter.

Winter in the country

Just last week at the market I saw the little stands of seeds and bulbs for sale and at the park and the temple I saw the emergence of the crocuses, tulips and daffodils which are always the first flowers to bloom in spring. These little flowers are hardy enough to withstand a few more winter storms and will bring such joy to all those who pass by and have been anxiously waiting for spring.

Seeds in the market

Market Selections

Signs of spring

Like all living things, people as well as flowers experience the seasons of the year. Spring when everything seems to come alive again with beauty and wonder; summer when the world is so full of energy and light; the fall when you breath in the last of the beauty of summer and long for the colors of fall to live on and on; and winter when you once again look inside yourself as you prepare for spring, enjoying each new snowfall with the wonder and delight of a child. 

Spring

Summer

Winter

Fall

And of course just writing this has reminded me of another of my favorite songs this one from Camelot.

If ever I would leave you
It wouldn't be in summer.
Seeing you in summer I never would go.
Your hair streaked with sun-light,
Your lips red as flame,
Your face with a lustre
that puts gold to shame!

But if I'd ever leave you,
It couldn't be in autumn.
How I'd leave in autumn I never will know.
I've seen how you sparkle
When fall nips the air.
I know you in autumn
And I must be there.

And could I leave you
running merrily through the snow?
Or on a wintry evening
when you catch the fire's glow?

If ever I would leave you,
How could it be in spring-time?
Knowing how in spring I'm bewitched by you so?
Oh, no! not in spring-time!
Summer, winter or fall!
No, never could I leave you at all!

Well, that is how I felt about Pocatello and now about Kyiv but what I am really saying about two cities that are very similar in climate is that I love the four seasons wherever I am, and to decide which is my favorite is impossible. 

Now, some adventures from last week.

Last Friday, March 8th was International Women’s Day. This is a holiday in Ukraine with the day off work. The week before Women’s Day is considered by men as the “nightmare week”.  They are busy doing nice things for women not only on the eighth but on every day before. Flowers and candy are a must!



At the office most of the men were out of town to business meetings on the Thursday before the holiday so on Monday we had our Women’s Day celebration at the office. It was only coincidental that a dishwasher arrived for the lunchroom on that day (electric dishwashers are a real luxury in Ukraine) so I teased the women that that was their Women’s day gift. However when lunchtime came there was pizza, cake, candy and fun games for the celebration, all prepared by the men. It was so fun.

The new dishwasher!!

The women

The men

The food

The flowers
On the 8th which was a holiday Gary was still nursing a bad cold so I decided to go on a little adventure that I call my trip to California. The Botanical Garden has some greenhouse displays that I had heard about so off I went. There was an area of orchids, an area of cactus, one of tropical plants and trees and one filled with beautiful azaleas. It was a delightful hour enjoying something that was so opposite of what was outside. My daughter-in-law later wrote:  “I love the flowers!  When I was a girl, I used to read a book called Miss Rumphius, and she spent some time in a greenhouse with tropical flowers inside and snow outside.  It always seemed so romantic and cozy. It is fun to think of you doing the same thing in celebration of Women's Day.”  Yes, I definitely felt like Miss Rumphius and it was a perfect day.

Azaleas

Orchids

Cactus

Tropical Trees

One other great thing we did for Women’s day which I just must mention is our branch had group dinners that evening. Our group met at the beautiful home of one of the embassy families and had an amazing “Café Rio” dinner. After a year without Café Rio it was the BEST! 



Gary has been busy at work this week and I have enjoyed my time at the temple, the office, and primary and also have now indexed 32,342 names for Family Search.  Life is great.
 

Quote for the week by the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints:

On behalf of the leadership and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we extend our warmest wishes to His Holiness Pope Francis and pray he will feel the peace of the Lord as he serves as pontiff of the Catholic Church.

We have been honored and pleased as our two faiths have worked together on issues of faith, morality and service to the poor and needy. We value the relationships that have been formed in these joint efforts and are grateful for the good that has been accomplished.

We look forward to pursuing together, as the Apostle Paul wrote, all things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report (see Philippians 4:8).

No comments: