The sun is shining, the trees are blossoming and we are happy to be in Kyiv doing the Lord's work.  Several people have inquired about what I am doing in Kyiv.  It probably sounds like I am on a sight-seeing mission and believe me there are a lot of sights to see but I will tell you a little of what I do.  I go into Gary's office a few days a week and do what I vowed 40 years ago I would never do again - work as his legal secretary.  It is really interesting though.  I get to go with him to meet with the Ukrainean attorneys and take notes while they discuss the cases they are working on.  On Monday and Wednesday we have Russian lessons from a lady that is a PHD in linguistics.  She is very strict about our pronunciations.  Honestly, I feel like Eliza Doolittle most of the time.  

Last week I went to the temple on Friday and I am going one or two days a week depending on my schedule.  It takes two hours to get to the temple but I am still hoping to be able to get there early enough to do the morning shift.  The metro doesn't start until 6:00 AM and I would have to get there by 7:00.  I know it will all work out.  For now Gary and I are in the International Branch and the Branch President wants to meet with us Sunday so we may have callings in the branch.  I can tell that visiting teaching is going to be a week long endeavor of love as  the members of the Branch are spread all over the city.   I have also been spending a lot of time doing indexing which I love to do.  

Today I am having a friend and her mother over for lunch and who knows, I may be able to invite the missionaries over to teach them before long.  We had Stake Conference last Sunday and it was wonderful.  We had headsets for the translation and could really  feel the spirit of the messages.  The members here have such strong testimonies of the Savior and his teachings and really study their scriptures relating what they learn to their lives.  Every Monday morning they have a devotional at Gary's office and it is always great.  The person that gives the spiritual message prepares as if they were giving a talk in General Conference and their messages are very thought provoking.  I have learned so much from these people already.

Last Saturday we helped with the Baptisms at the Temple and that was also a wonderful experience.  I was looking forward to going to help with the Young Adult Conference in Odessa this Fri - Sunday but Gary had some things come up so we won't be able to go.  I'm sure we will have other opportunities to get out of Kyiv and see the countryside and meet the people there.  Gary is doing his usual super job as a legal counsel and is really enjoying this opportunity.  My last words for this blog....don't take your wonderful opportunities and the simple things in life for granted.  Also more importantly, know that the Atonement is real and is available every minute of the day and that the Lord hears and answers all prayers.  

Stake Conference in the Government Tax Auditorium (700 attended)

St. Michael's Cathedral

St. Andrew's church-opposite St. Sophia's Cathedral

Happy 66th Birthday, Gary!